Sociologist (and ASA president) Annette Lareau, among others in the field, talking about the role of social class in educational outcomes.
“Stylin’ out.” That’s how Monica L. Miller, an associate professor of English at Barnard College, describes the way black people have used dress to expand definitions of blackness, gender, and sexuality. Men in particular have “styled their way from slaves to dignified human beings,” she writes in Slaves to Fashion (Duke University Press, 2009).
- Stacy Patton (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
I think it is really interesting that this map uses the phrase “support Israel” to indicate a vote against Palestine. Just saying.
In honor of Joe’s 70th birthday on November 20th, here’s some of his best, and funniest moments. Happy Birthday, Mr. Vice President!
- Joe Biden on Jill Biden: “I will not leave the house- I swear to god, until she kisses me and gives me a hug”
- Joe Biden fist bumps Kal Penn while wearing aviators
- Joe Biden’s 2012 DNC Speech
- Joe Biden guest stars on Parks and Recreation
- President Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid make fun of Joe Biden because women love him- “People were propositioning him” “Where were we where all those women started saying, Joe you’re hot?”
- Joe Biden on Carmen Sandiego
- Joe Biden does a magic trick
- Joe Biden and Speaker of the House John Boehner engage in man hug, Boehner brags about golf
- Joe Biden’s Top Ten on David Letterman
- Joe Biden cries after his son Beau nominates him at the DNC
- Joe Biden gets choked up talking about his past at the 2008 vice presidential debate
- “With all due respect, that’s a bunch of malarkey”
- Joe Biden talks about his stuttering problem on The View
- Joe Biden to Obama: “This is a big fucking deal”
- Joe Biden gives 17-year-old girl a ride to his rally
- Joe Biden endorses same-sex marriage
- “I promise you, the President has a big stick”
- Dr. Jill Biden makes accidental joke about Joe Biden’s penis, Joe laughs
- “America’s Happy Warrior” walks onto stage, fist pumps
- Joe Biden makes a really awkward sex joke about his parents
- I Want Joe Biden, Need Joe Biden
- Joe Biden’s “It Gets Better”
- Obama and Biden go on a burger run
- Joe Biden sworn in as 47th Vice President
- Joe Biden’s 2008 DNC speech
- Dr. Jill Biden’s 2012 DNC Speech
bold = my personal favorites
Happy Birthday Joe. Happy Birthday.
Alejandro Guijarro - Momentum (2010-12)
“The artist travelled to the great quantum mechanics institutions of the world and, using a large-format camera, photographed blackboards as he found them. Momentum displayed the photographs in life-size.
Before he walked into a lecture hall Guijarro had no idea what he might find. He began by recording the blackboard with the minimum of interference. No detail of the lecture hall was included, the blackboard frame was removed and we are left with a surface charged with abstract equations. Effectively these are documents. Yet once removed from their institutional beginnings the meaning evolves. The viewer begins to appreciate the equations for their line and form. Color comes into play and the waves created by the blackboard eraser suggest a vast landscape or galactic setting. The formulas appear to illustrate the worlds of Quantum Mechanics. What began as a precise lecture, a description of the physicist’s thought process, is transformed into a canvas open to any number of possibilities.”
1. Cambridge (2011)
2. Stanford (2012)
3. Berkeley I (2012)
4. Berkeley II (2012)
5. Oxford (2011)
If, as John Gambell suggests, the typefaces we as a society choose in which to set our messages are meant to stand in for the speaker of the words themselves, than how should we see a speaker with Koch’s “new black face”? If we want to know why the words of African-Americans continue to be lost, we must come to recognize that the “new black face” that voices in Neuland adopt is not a new face at all: it is simply a mask for the old black stereotypes that still persist today.